Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Flu and My 1st Race

Will its finally begun. I am now putting on the jersey and bumping into other guys on the road. But before I share about that lets talk about the flu.
I had 12 solid weeks of training and I was getting stronger. I was even Setting new PRs (Personal records). I had a rest week and then all of a sudden the flu hit me 3 days in bed 5 days out of work. Wash your hands people, wash your hands. So this was my first week back after being sick and I felt like a slug. Unfortunately for me it was also the first race weekend. It actually gets worse. My first race of the year was on super bowl Sunday and it poured rain all day. Not to mention that the race was put on by my team so I spent the day outside in the elements running registration.
I got a really good warm-up (on the Kelly Trainer) in before my race and my legs felt decent. However, one of the hard efforts on the trainer helped me to see that my lungs aren't entirely recovered after my flu from 7 days ago. So I started the race and stayed in the front for the 1st 2 laps my legs felt great but my lungs felt bad and I decided to quit so that I wouldn't give myself pneumonia. 40 degrees pouring rain and burning lungs sound pretty foolish. So I live to race another day. I am racing next Sat in the imperial valley. I appreciate all your guys prayers.

Love in Christ
J-Dogg

1 comment:

Just Blaze said...

Hey Brosuff,

Got a question, when you take a rest week do you take the whole week off and not train or is it active rest still putting in a couple mile. I have this guy on my team named Scott Sellers, number 12 in the world last year in the high jump. Trained hard for the NCAA championships and won. He took the next week off to recooporate before eventually starting to train again.During that week he didn't train at all. How does this involve you? Just wondering if you need to take an active rest week after a grueling 12 week training session? My coach says the reason Scott got sick was because his body wasn't used to not training that it fought back and made him get really sick... hit me back.